WOMEN STAND UP
Prolonged sitting is known for its health risks – weakening heart health, increasing your risk of diabetes and potentially shrinking your brain. But new research from the University of Queensland in Australia is highlighting the implications of a sedentary lifestyle for women. The study divided daily sitting time into low (three and a half hours), medium (five and a half hours) and high (10 hours), and found those who sat the longest were more likely to become frail as they aged. Frailty reduces your ability to recover from injury and illness, and increases the likelihood of hospitalisation. The good news? You can remove the increased risk altogether by moving to the low or medium categories.
GET BACK TO NATURE
We instinctively know it, and now research confirms spending time outside is good for you. Scientists at the University of East Anglia have found exposure to green space reduces the risk of Type II diabetes, high blood pressure, stress, insomnia and heart disease. Studying data from 20 countries, including the UK, the scientists defined green space as any undeveloped land with vegetation, plus urban parks and tree-lined streets. The researchers believe the opportunities for exercise and socialising, and exposure to a wider variety of bacteria the spaces offer, boost immunity.
GET BACK TO NATURE WITH YOGA Photo Gallery
DIAL A DENTIST
Ever feel there’s no time to talk to your dentist at your 10-minute check-up? Enter new app Dental Republik (dentalrepublik.com), which links patients with professional dentists who can provide answers to your queries, no matter how trivial – choose from the pre-loaded questions or ask one of your own. You’ll even be able to upload images or dental x-rays tor a tailored response. What’s more, you can block out information, should you wish to keep certain aspects of your dental health private. The app is tree to download from the Apple app store, and submissions cost from £6.
Maybe You Like Them Too
- Box Yourself Fit Try These Boxing Exercises To Get A Dose Of Cardio And Strength Training All In One – No Bag Or Gloves Required
- Reset Your Body with Yoga
- Best New Equipment The Best New (and timeless) Equipment for 2020
- Connect Your Mind Body and Spirit and Feel Better About Your Body For Good! With This Mat Series İnspired by The Method’s Six Principles
- Learning How to Actively isolate and Contract The Pelvic Floor is The Secret to Strengthening and Enhancing Your Performance on The Mat and İn The Bedroom to Boot