One Legged Pigeon Pose – Eka Pada Rajakapotasana
Main benefit – Opens the hips, legs and buttocks.
1. Start on all fours on the mat – knees underneath your hips and hands under your shoulders.
2. Draw your right knee up to your right wrist. Then, allow your back leg to slide out behind you so your hips come closer to the floor.
3. You can wiggle your front right foot out to the left a little to increase the stretch.
4. Make sure your hips are just off the floor and squared toward the front of the mat. You can place a blanket underneath your right buttocks for extra support, if it feels better for you.
5. As you inhale, open your heart toward the sky and as you exhale, draw your torso forward and down toward the floor. Relax your arms into any position that supports you. Find a position where you can relax your upper body, head, neck and arms.
6. Take many deep breaths and allow yourself to sink deeper. Close your eyes if you like.
7. When ready to come out, bring your hands beside your head and use them to draw yourself up. Then slide your right knee back into the all fours position again. Wiggle out your legs if you need to.
8. Repeat on the other side.