Supported Forward Fold
Forward Bend • 5 to 8 minutes
Bolster (or 2 rolled blankets or a large pillow)
Block (or large hardcover book)
Square eighth-fold blanket
- If forward bending is contraindicated for your spine, substitute LegsUpthe Wallor Head to Bolster Pose.
- Supports and maintains your spine in normal, healthy flexion.
- Gently stretches your back muscles and hamstrings.
- Can help relieve neck and jaw tension and headache.
- Encourages inward contemplation and self-awareness.
- . Place a block on its tallest setting between your shins. Set the narrow end of the bolster in your lap so that the other end rests on the block. Place the blanket on the bolster and lean forward, resting your abdomen, heart, and cheek on the bolster. Relax your arms by your sides.
- . Halfway through, turn your head and place the opposite cheek down for an equal stretch of your neck.
- . Remain in Supported Forward Fold for 5 to 8 minutes. To exit, press your hands into the bolster and sit up.
If you can’t easily bring your torso to the bolster, add more blankets to bring the bolster to you so you can relax in the pose.
Maybe You Like Them Too
- Restorative Yoga Poses : Gentle Open Twist
- Restorative Yoga Poses : Reclining Pigeon
- Restorative Yoga Poses : Supported Straddle Forward Fold
- Restorative Yoga Poses : Extended Supported Bridge
- Yoga Poses for Relaxation: Heart Pose