Heart Pose with a Chair
Backbend • 3 to 5 minutes
Bolster (or 2 rolled blankets or a large pillow)
- If you feel pain or discomfort in your lower back in this pose, substitute Legs Up the Chair.
- Supports your spine in extension.
- Softens your poses muscles, the deep hip flexor muscles that can become chronically contracted if you spend extended periods sitting, and gently opens your chest and shoulders to relieve the effects of extended periods spent sitting.
- Improves respiration.
- Provides an accessible, lower back-friendly alternative to Heart Pose.
Restorative Yoga Poses : Heart Pose with a Chair Photo Gallery
- . Start in a sitting position with the bolster touching the base of your spine and the chair in front of you.
- . Reach behind you and hold the bolster to stabilize it, then lie back.
- . Bring your calves up onto the chair seat one at a time. Release your arms by your sides.
- . Remain here for 3 to 5 minutes. To exit, bring both legs carefully down to one side, and use your hands to support you as you roll off the bolster onto your side. Press yourself up to a sitting position.
If you can bring a bolster to the office, this pose makes a great afternoon pick-me-up during a long day spent sitting in front of a computer.
Maybe You Like Them Too
- Restorative Yoga Poses : Legs Up the Bolster
- Restorative Yoga Poses : Supported Half Frog
- Restorative Yoga Poses : Supported Pigeon
- Restorative Yoga Poses : Gentle Open Twist
- Restorative Yoga Poses : Reclining Pigeon