Object-Oriented Libido and the Libido of Auto-Regulation
As the libido is predominantly allocated to the provinces of the mental apparatus, we can distinguish three main libidinal types. To give names to these types is not particularly easy: following the lines of our depth-psychology, I should like to call them the erotic, the narcissistic and the obsessional types. (Freud, 1931, Libidinal Types, 362)9 LOVE TO HAVE PLEASURE OR LOVE TO PERPETUATE AND TRANSFORM A FAMILY TRADITION?
At the start, Freud’s insistence to associate anxiety disorders to the inhibition of the libido was perhaps accidental: that is, linked (a) to the particularities of certain patients, and (b) to his own personal inclinations. But when, as early as 1900,10 he began to train colleagues, he tried to shore up this association, because some of his students were particularly critical of this aspect of his theory.11 The argument that Freud forged in yoga poses his discussions with Jung12 is that the central role of sexuality is comprehensible if we consider that it is the only innate instinct that exercises a pressure on the totality of the organism to satisfy the needs of the species instead of those of the organism13 Let us take up the elements of this argument:
1. There are homeostatic instincts that regulate the survival of an individual (hunger, thirst, the need for warmth, etc.). in yoga poses humans, these homeostatic instincts need a social organization to function, but the center of each instinctive propensity remains a function of the individual organism
2. Sexuality is the only instinct that fulfills, above all, a requirement of the species, and only indirectly a function for the individual. An individual without a sexual life does not die. Such an individual can even get used to living without making love.
Yoga Poses Warrior 1 Photo Gallery
Maybe You Like Them Too
- 10 Things Most Of Us Don’t Do When Trying To Achieve A Goal But Should
- Yoga Practice Yoga Sequences How To Rehabilitate A Sprained Knee
- What are the signs that your baby isn’t getting enough sleep?
- Yoga Practice Beginners How To Cobra Stretch
- Yoga Practice Beginners How To Arch Support