Kundalini is derived from kundala, meaning a “ring” or “coil.” This cosmic energy is symbolized as a sleeping serpent with three and a half coils. The three coils represent the three states of the mind:
1. Jagrat, awake
2. Svapna, dreaming
3. Susupti, deep sleep
The half coil represents the fourth state of the mind, Turiya, which is the transcendence of the other states, or the enlightened state.
Source: Light on Pranayama: The Yogic Art of Breathing, B. K. S. Iyengar
The Coils of Kundalini Photo Gallery
Maybe You Like Them Too
- Yoga Poses That Can Help Endometriosis Sufferers
- What are the signs that your baby isn’t getting enough sleep?
- Balance Yoga For Chickens Relaxing Your Inner Cheek
- Teach Doing Yoga Therapy Safely Part I: Getting Started
- Yoga Practice Yoga Sequences 6 Yoga Poses Basketball Players Coaches Fans