Wide Legged Forward Bend – Prasarita Padottanasana
Main benefit – Opens the inside of the legs and lengthens the back.
1. While standing, step your legs to around 1.5 meters apart (everyone is different so adjust as necessary). Make sure the outsides of your feet are in line with the outsides of the mat or inward just a little – a little pigeon toe is ok.
Photo Gallery of Wide Legged Forward Bend – Prasarita Padottanasana
Click to on Photo for Next Wide Legged Forward Bend – Prasarita Padottanasana Images
2. Bring your hands onto your hips, inhale to open your heart to the sky and then exhale to stick your butt out as you draw your chest forward and down toward the floor.
3. Eventually, bring your hands to the mat. If you have trouble reaching the floor with your hands, try widening your legs, and if you still have no luck, bend your knees a little.
4. Bring your hands in between your feet as much as possible, keep your elbows tucked in and then use your arms and hands to draw the top of your head toward the floor.
5. Try keeping your legs activated by pulling up on your kneecaps and trying to stick your buttocks up toward the sky.
6. When you’re ready to come out, bend your knees a little, tuck your tail bone under and roll yourself up to a standing position.